How Do We Help? Part 3

Flat Classroom in Yokohama finished today, but it is far from ended. You can see an incredible final student presentation here. The videos are awesome and awe inspiring. What passion and desire to make a change. While some of the students were furiously working on this presentation and videos the rest of us continued our learning.

The teachers and students not involved in creating the videos or final presentation were learning about emerging technologies.

1. 3D Printing
  2. Cloud Computing
  3. Crowd Sourcing
  4. Digital Identity
  5. Electronic Publishing
  6. Flipped Classroom
  7. Games and Gamification
  8. Gesture-based Computing
  9. Open Content
  10. Social Media
  11. Virtual and Remote Laboratories
  12. Virtual Worlds

The teachers divided into 12 groups and 2 students joined each group. We did some research to find out about how one of these are or might be used in the classroom and then the students moved from table to table sharing with the teachers. Once again, the poise and knowledge and insight of the students was wonderful. You can find out more about these on the Flat Classroom wiki or wait for the K-12 Horizon white paper to come out. There are so many things to explore and learn about, but the best thing to do is to choose 1 or 2 and become comfortable with those, then add to your tool box. Find others in your school who are willing to collaborate or who have chosen some different tools and then share your expertise. No one can know or begin to image all that is possible, but little by little with the constant sharing of ideas we will all grow and learn as educators.

Since it is Sunday evening and I have school tomorrow morning, this will be short. But check out the Flat Classroom website and look for a conference that you might attend in person or virtually. If you want to see photos from the conference there are many on Flickr. A HUGE thank you to Julie Lindsay and Kim Cofino, along with all the other presenters and behind the scene workers. It was a fabulous conference!

2 thoughts on “How Do We Help? Part 3

1. Jean, thanks so much for your triology of reflections and activities based on the conference 2 weeks ago. I really enjoyed reliving the experiences through your eyes. Thanks for being a positive participant!

• Julie,
      Thank you for the vision and the energy you have put into Flat Classroom. I have begun reading your book and am looking forward to sharing in my blog and with my colleagues. Presently I am in Geneva with my husband. I spent the day exploring and will have lots of time to read when my husband leaves for his dinner. I was impressed, all the conference participants were given an iPad for the conference. Questions for speakers are sent directly to their iPad.(it is a medical conference)
      Jean